The BA in Media Arts offers an undergraduate education that prepares students for a wide range of professional opportunities in planning, writing, producing, and distributing media content. By the completion of a degree in Media Arts, students will be able to:
- Create, develop, and produce a message in a variety of media formats
- Analyze and critique media messages and their contexts using theoretical frameworks
- Explain how media arts can promote a civil and just society
Media Arts students are encouraged to use internships to develop skills and expertise under the guidance of trained professionals. Students also gain experience and build portfolios through participation in student activities, including the Arbiter newspaper, Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), University Pulse radio, and University Television Productions.
Students pursuing the degree focus their study on the artistic and social dimensions of media, with an emphasis in one of the following areas: Journalism and Media Studies, Media Production, or Public Relations.
- The Journalism and Media Studies Emphasis trains students in the theory and practice of journalism and also provides opportunities for critical examination of the social, cultural, political, and economic dimensions of all media forms, with attention to the role of media in democratic society.
- The Media Production Emphasis provides opportunities to create projects in a variety of forms, including film, audio, video, television, multimedia, digital imaging, motion graphics, web design, and online distribution.
- The Public Relations Emphasis trains students in the theory and practice of public relations. Students focus on skills development as they critically examine social, cultural, political, and economic dimensions of the field, with particular attention to ethical practice.
2016- 2017 BA Media Arts Check Sheets
Click on the link to the following emphasis areas for check-sheets: